Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Some Time to Absorb it All

Before the beginning of the semester, not only did I feel comfortable with my understanding of environmental issues but also I felt optimistic about the future, the prospect of a world embracing nature in an effort to both sustain and nurture it. Sure I knew about climate skeptics, and was disheartened by the mercenaries like media personnel and politicians who continued to deny global warming and discredit environmentalists, despite clear evidence on the contrary. But as the course progressed my naivety vanished and I began to understand the seriousness of the situation at hand. I thought we had some time, I selfishly believed it wouldn’t happen during my lifetime, not that it was reason to be indolent but that my generation could finally get the ball rolling, and make up for the negligence of the one that came before. Now I realize there is no ball, nor is there time for it to roll, it is purely what needs to be done….and now.

Initially I felt shocked, sometime physically sick, over how deep we have dug ourselves as a species. I was so angry I almost wanted the world to end and climate change to wreak havoc so earth could rebuild itself without our selfish being, morbid I know. But as the course continued I realized there is still hope of salvaging the beauty and diversity we have graciously been given. The planet will certainly not remain as it is but there is potential to create something just as wonderful, through innovative design, technology, utilizing resources that don’t pollute, creating more wildlife habitats, and by more I mean a lot more, and most of all, reinventing what it means to be human. The latter is what I took most from the course but also what appears to be the largest task at hand. As many authors throughout the semester pointed out, the biggest obstacle to solving our environmental dilemma is completely revamping our way of life. It thrills me to think about a new “us.” Ahhh the idea of ALL human beings embracing nature, working together in communities to educate, empower, feed one another, and most of all take the time to enjoy the sun rays and the light sprinkles of rain. I dream of this happening in the United States most, as it is the country that is largely responsible for the environmental degradation that exists, be it through CO2 emissions and other harmful gases, its support of a lethal agriculture system, its failure to act as a role model for other countries, and its consumer run culture, to name a few.

Now more than ever I am thinking about myself as an individual and the role I play. It is clear that individual action will not solve the current crisis but the class has made me eager to be involved in a movement to end our current trajectory. To help influence the notion of what it means to be an American. To continue spreading the idea that exponential growth is meaningless, that being too big is something to avoid not desperately seek to achieve. I am scared, I’ll admit. I hate the thought of chaos on the horizon - flooding, droughts, hunger, thirst, death, poverty, disease – I really wish it did not have to be this way and I condemn those who sustain it. But, I will continue to be optimistic, to have conversations, to lead by example, to promote, and to never stop learning about this subject that effects each and every one of us. My apologies if this post has no direction, or lacks coherency, but that is precisely how I am feeling, it is too soon for me to fully digest what I have learned because it is so multifaceted. One thing I am certain of though is that climate change is real, the world is drastically changing as a result of human interference, and in order for it to not result in our demise, we need to change, and soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment