Sunday, December 4, 2011

Where to begin?

When I attempted to think about how to synthesize all of the information I have learned throughout the semester into one blog post, I had trouble deciding where to start. Very few other courses I have taken have presented information and concepts that affect every aspect of human life. Everything we think about and everything we do would not be possible without the environment simply because it is the place in which we exist. I guess what I'm trying to say is that the concepts put forth in this class are so unbelievably far-reaching that it is difficult to dictate exactly what I will be taking away.

In the end, I would say that no other class has made me seriously ponder the way that I live my life as much as this one has. I notice person after person driving by on the street, alone in their cars. I notice how it seems like EVERYTHING is wrapped in plastic inside of more plastic. I have come to terms with the fact that no matter how hard I try, I'll never be able to escape corn. These examples may sound trivial, but this class seriously has altered my outlook on and given me a new paradigm with which to view the world and the way it works. Most of all though, this class has given me an elevated sense of appreciation for the environment. I'm amazed by all of the natural services it provides and the rich biodiversity of life that it is comprised of. I also recognize however, that this could all go away and so in addition to an increased appreciation, I feel an increased sense of responsibility for it's well-being. I understand that both individually and together, we are responsible for determining whether or not this environment that we live in flourishes or fails.

No comments:

Post a Comment