Sunday, December 4, 2011

What Will I Take Away?

I've been thinking about this question since it was first posted and find myself completely unable to articulate what it is that I will take away. A more appropriate question would be: what won't I take away?

For starters, I'll be taking away a completely new lens on the world around me. I can't look at my food, my clothes, my belongings, my own living space anymore without thinking about how my decision have already affected the world we live in. I know this was probably not the intention of the course, but I also find myself unable to shake this sort of nagging feeling of dread that all of the mountains of information and different theories about climate change projections have plagued me with. I suppose that on some level though, the pervasive dread is good. Hopefully it will drive my decision-making for the rest of my life. But then I think to myself ... do my actions as an individual really matter? They don't really make a difference according to some of the opinions we've read. I suppose through political activism they do. Through motivating collective action they do. And maybe that's one of the most important things that I will take away from this class - that if creating change IS something that I want to do, I need to think a bit bigger than I have in the past.


No comments:

Post a Comment