Thursday, October 27, 2011

Is it possible to eat a corn free diet?

When I first read the assignment for this week I thought that I was only going to be able to eat fruit all day. But to make sure I took everything out of my pantry and searched the ingredients to see if they matched anything on the list that Professor Nicholson gave us. I was right most things did have corn in them somewhere, but not my pasta. Success! So then I started planning my meals for the day. Starting with breakfast, my multi-grain cheerios were not an option since one of the grains is corn. So instead I went with an apple. I just assumed that there was no corn in the pesticides, fertilizer, etc. used to grow this corn. One, because I don’t know if corn is actually in those things and two, because I have no way of knowing what products they used on my fruit and vegetables. So I assumed no because otherwise I would only be eating pasta and drinking water all day. I knew that getting food at TDR or ordering from a restaurant was out of the question because I do not know what products they use in their kitchens and chances are that there will be corn in there somewhere. So I made myself a vegetable stir fry that I added to my pasta. I didn’t add any salt to the pasta water, something I usually do to add flavor, because sodium was on the corn list. I used olive oil for my stir fry and then drizzled a little more olive oil on top of the dish at the end so that there would be a little more flavor. I did not want to add any other sauce because the ones I had at home had small traces of corn in them and I did not want to go buy more sauce just for this assignment. So I made do with what I had and it turned out to be a tasty meal. However, I don’t think that I could only eat pasta and vegetables for a whole week.

No comments:

Post a Comment