Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Why eat that?

Taste is the biggest factor when it comes to what I eat. I try to take my health and the environment into consideration, however; in the end if I like the taste I’m going to eat it and if it does not taste good I’m not going to eat it. I do try to limit the amount of meat that I eat because of the health and environmental impacts. When I shop for my apartment I do not buy meat. I usually only eat meat when I am out to eat somewhere, as a treat. However, I feel like the environmental considerations are more of an afterthought than the main reason I eat little meat. To be truly honest this might be a continuation of my habits when I was living in Kenya. In Kenya meat is much more expensive than everything else therefore, I did not buy meat. I think that I was used to not buying meat and just continued that trend when I got home. Now when I think about the environmental impact of meat, it just enforces the decision that I made in Kenya for economic reasons. I also cut soda out of my diet but that was for health reasons. The only food decision that I have made that I can link to environmental concerns is the fact that I now buy my produce from a local framers market instead of at Giant.

The meal, that I ate this past week, which had greatest impact on the environment, was probably the Chinese food hat I ordered on Saturday. I figure that this is the case because of a variety of factors. Firstly there is the fact that it had chicken in the meal which is something is usually do not have. I also do not know where the restaurant gets its produce from so I do not know the impact of their produce. However, the fact that I ordered the food for delivery makes me certain that the meal had a great impact.

No comments:

Post a Comment